Independent practice for new lawyers
You have graduated from a law school and passed the state bar exam. Congratulations: You are a lawyer!
So, where do you go from here? With so many applicants and competition for positions in law firms, it could be awhile before you land a job. Plus, if you do get hired, it could be months or years before you get to represent a client in court or have the opportunity to practice the area of law that interests you the most.
One option is to start your own law practice. The bare minimum you need to open is:
- A new or used computer with Internet access and loaded with the necessary legal and accounting software
- A printer
- A document scanner
- Mobile phone
- Access to a law library
Taking your independent practice to the next level
A bare-bones approach will more than likely cause you to struggle to survive or end up working in some other type of work. A lawyer who wants a decent chance at succeeding needs to add just a few more items to the list:
- A nicely furnished office, in a good location
- An easy-to-use office phone system
- Website for your practice
- At least four or five tailored business suits and at least one tuxedo or formal evening gown
- A decent looking used or new car
Most of the items listed above are about image. Image is one of the most important factors in succeeding in any business, especially in legal profession. If you look like and feel like a successful lawyer, you will project the image that you are successful.
Setting up your independent law office
You need a professional looking office. A place where your clients will feel comfortable and safe. Don’t cut corners on furnishings, as cheap furnishings will make you look cheap.
A good receptionist is great, if you can afford one. One alternative is a professional answering service. The service can answer in your law practice’s name and, when you’re out of your office, they can transfer your important calls or make sure you get your messages.
Putting your image and office together can take time. It is also easy to pay too much acquiring everything individually. One great alternative to setting up an office on your own is launching your practice in a shared office or co-working environment, such as LawBank.
LawBank can provide everything you need to support your law practice, for a simple flat rate. Features include:
- 24/7 access to a variety of workspaces
- High-speed broadband and Wi-Fi Internet access
- Live receptionist during business hours
- Access to premium conference rooms
- A state-of-the-art phone system printing, scanning and copying
- A hosted webpage describing your practice, optimized for search engine results
- Other amenities often found in traditional law firms, without high overhead costs
Contact us to discuss how we can help you become a successful independent lawyer in the Denver area. We now have two locations in Denver to serve you.