Posted by Jay Kamlet on Aug 21, 2014
Get your info faster with these handy links for legal news
Time management is one of the most vital aspects of running your own business, but it is one of the toughest things to do correctly. It is an enigma that only a select few are able to master, but those who do are able to manipulate time into being on their side.
As a lawyer in solo practice, you are focused on serving current clients, seeking new clients and finding time to breathe in between. It is a marathon with little downtime that makes it hard to keep up on any important legal news. To help with this task, we have compiled a list of five resources that are quick and easy to use so you can stay on top of your game and continue to provide fresh advice no matter how busy your schedule:
- The Wall Street Journal Law Blog is a great, one-stop-shop for all of your legal news. As one of the most trusted news sources throughout the world, The Wall Street Journal Law Blog is the perfect place to stay up-to-date on all the big cases that might affect the outlook for your clients. It provides a wide range of coverage, from intellectual property cases to the most recent changes in state legislation.
- The other staple in the legal community these days is the SCOTUS Blog. It provides updates on all the most recent decisions by the Supreme Court of the United States. One of the best sections on the site is “Plain English.” It provides you a recap of all the decisions in layman’s terms, so you don’t have to spend precious time interpreting what you just read.
- Above the Law is another comprehensive news source that has gained a high-quality reputation in the legal community. It has the feel of a Huffington Post with its entertaining editorials while also providing precise reporting on legal topics.
- One of the more interesting and useful news source is iPhone JD. It provides all the most recent news on legal apps and tools that can help make your job easier. For example, a recent feature article highlighted the Transcript Pad app that makes it easy to read depositions while identifying important parts of the testimonies that relate to key issues in your case.
- Finally, the Volokh Conspiracy is a law blog run by various legal professors. They write opinionated editorials on various legal topics that can provide an interesting perspective on what is happening in the legal community throughout the nation.